Monday, March 28, 2011

Recent Work - 23 New Paintings to Show You!

Happy Spring 2011 - at least that's what the calendar says - right now it's very chilly on Cape Cod! But the sun is shining - I feel like a cat, looking for the sunniest window! With the help of Monja at Spicy Design, we've uploaded 23 new paintings onto the website. They're in a "gallery" folder of their own., on the "Gallery" pages. There's alot of variety in this mix - pastels, oils and even a few watercolors. Subject matter varies widely, too. There are Cape Cod land and seascapes; A Grenada seascape series, called Webcam Daydreams, inspired by the webcams at www.grenadaexplorer.com; a surfer series, entitled Facing the Waves - about courage in the face of huge uncertainty; some "wraparound" oils, painted on 3 surfaces; birds, beasts and more... I'll be participating in a number of shows this May, details are on the "Exhibitions" page. One May 2011 show I missed mentioning there will be the Wellfleet Painters Show of Recent Work, which will hang through the month of May at the Wellfleet COA. The Wellfleet Painters get together on Friday afternoons at the COA to work on individual projects. When it warms up a bit, we'll be going outside. This will be a show (our second) of work we've produced while painting together. Bob and I enjoyed a trip to the Savannah area recently. What a great place to visit - it was Spring there, months ahead of us! In addition to visiting the "Historic District", we got a chance to get out into "the swamp" and visit the seashore, as well. I've already got 2 pastels in the "work-in-progress" stage, based on photos taken there. Also got some good photos of migrating birds, who may be seen flying into future paintings. The Sandpiper Gallery, which showed my paintings for many years here in Wellfleet, has closed. I was glad to have the opportunity to show my work there, and I wish Mary Houk the best with her new-found free time. In May, I expect to be employed again at beautiful Truro Vineyards. This year, I'll have an even sharper eye out for the many painting possiblities there. Til then, I'm trying to paint some every day, and be mindful of the beauty all around me....